Momentum

by Felicia Chapman (Gonzaga University)
STANDING ON THE STEPS
in the centre of Armagh, I am surrounded by both the ancient and the modern. The Marketplace Theatre stands proudly to my right, representing growth and opportunity, beckoning with its glass front and open air design. To the left stands a stone cross, reminding the people of their history, telling them to have faith. The cross stands alone and seemingly out of place among the cars parked on the steep cobblestone parking lot. With the grey sky blanketing above me and the smell of rain in the air, I have no doubt that I am in Northern Ireland, the country of magic and rebirth.

Armagh has many more hills than I had imagined. I find that standing on the steps of the marketplace allows me to catch my breath…which I never seem to have enough of. It also allows me to meet interesting people. Patrick Wood was a cheerful, inquisitive redheaded Irish man who loved to chat. The Verger for the Cathedral at the top of the hill, he wasn’t even winded when he reached me. A university student, he worked at the Cathedral six days a week, “doing anything that needed doing”. He explained that when the church was outdoors, an individual was needed to herd the people and the flocks to allow the service to begin. He was this modern day Shepherd.

Discussing the diversity in Armagh, Patrick, a native of the city, spoke in terms of the “Whites” and the “Off Whites”; an interesting term for the few Asian people who run the Chinese Food Restaurants. He explained how the people of Armagh don’t like change… perhaps this is why prejudice exists regarding the Eastern European emigrants?

Untangling myself from Patrick’s long winded conversation, I looked down the stairs to see how far I had come. The stairs stretched into the bottom of a steep cobblestone street, lined with modern and traditional store fronts. As I reflect on the efforts made to prepare for this journey to Northern Ireland; the ongoing health crisis which occurred in the first week, and the Armagh Project gaining momentum, I know how Homer Simpson felt after climbing to the peak of the mountain, drained and happy, only to look up and see numerous challenging peaks ahead… D’Oh! However, surrounded by cathedrals, churches, nuns and priests I cannot help but to have faith… this will all come together… it was meant to be.