Sensory Overload

by Alex Cavallo
TO BE QUITE HONEST,
my arrival in Ireland was a bit of a blur. Having endured a six-hour plane ride, a second hour plane ride, a harrowing taxi ride to the Ulster bus station, a two hour wait in an unfamiliar bus station, and, finally, a seemingly interminable and jarring bus ride all on exactly zero hours of sleep with nothing but a child’s size bag of dry pretzels to sustain me, my first step onto Armagh soil (or pavement) was less than momentous.

On the contrary, I felt frazzled, drained, and rather confused. However, after a decent night’s sleep and a revaluation of my present situation, I felt my outlook and general sense of well-being significantly brighten.

I immediately discovered Armagh to be a quaint and charming town (as sickeningly saccharine as those adjectives might be.) The people are, almost entirely, unbelievably friendly and engaging. Unlike my hometown of New York, where strangers are more likely to greet you with a lewd hand gesture than an open smile, the citizens of Armagh are quick to acknowledge unknown passers-by with a welcoming grin or even a completely sincere “how are you”.

It’s all a bit of sensory overload, I must confess. However, it grows on you—the complete lack of cynicism and good-natured candor with which the people of Armagh approach both their daily lives and the people in them. Each day spent in this tiny, yet bustling community is refreshing.