Home

by Brigid Carey (Gonzaga University)
MISERY LOVES COMPANY. I wouldn't classify anyone here as "miserable," but I think it's how we've all bonded essentially. I'm definitely not miserable, but there is a certain sadness that comes with being out of your element or comfort zone. It's taxing, and I believe that everyone here has felt the effects. One can faintly hear a sigh of "I can't wait to go home," and slowly the consenting murmurs will follow. I'll admit it: I'm very excited to go home, if not just to see my dog!

I adore this experience and I feel that it is vital for all citizens of the world to immerse themselves in another culture. Not only to learn about people other than yourself, to widen your horizons and expand your mind, but also to appreciate your own culture; for its successes and failures. Is it shallow to admit that I feel a deep connection with my material objects at home? Not my high-tech, state of the art toys that "improve" my life, but rather my bed, my kitchen, hell... even my bathroom. My bathroom where I know ever inch and quirk hidden in those pipes; where I can produce the perfect shower temperature by easing the faucet a little hotter, a little cooler... oh yeah, that's it!

All of these little luxuries that we are privileged and blessed with at home are taken for granted because we are focused on if we have the newest Mac, or the latest Ipod gadget, or if "Mommy will get me that new BMW for my sweet sixteen," exampled in every MTV show. In the end, I don't miss any of those things. Correction: If I HAD any of those things, I don't believe I would miss them. Rather, I miss my family, my friends, and my Home. That small space selected out of the universe that I can deem my own. That is what I miss most. Not an admirable confession, I'll admit. To each their own.