A Day in the Life of an Armagh Project Student

by Meg Carey (Gonzaga University)
I JOLT AWAKE at the piercing song of my cell phone alarm. Hit snooze. I’m shocked awake once more and turn off the alarm completely this time. I begin to sit up and remember that I must untangle my legs from the cloth-covered plastic comforter that has coiled around me throughout the night. I trudge to the shower and alternate between scorching hot and slightly cool water. I get out, dry off, and and pick out my outfit for the day. Tank top? Nope, too cool. Sweater? Nope, too hot. Tank top underneath a sweater, underneath a raincoat? Perfect. I’ll need to be prepared to alternate stripping off and piling on layers as the weather is about as stable as my rapid cycling bipolar aunt.

I arrive in the Bagel Bean. My favorite local, Rodger the Bagel Bean owner, greets me. He gives me a hearty “Hello Meg,” and I feel immediately warm and fuzzy; at home. As other students waft in for their morning bagel and cappuccino, Roger recognizes each by name. I am truly impressed both by his memory, but also by his genuine desire to make each person feel as welcome as possible. Just by saying my name, I feel like we are old friends. Great start to the day.

I take my cappuccino to go, and stroll over to the Armagh center where we are having class. The first class, Irish History, is with Margaret, a professor from Trinity University. She is lively, funny, and extremely well informed. Next is Dr. Caputo’s Intercultural Module of the program. His humorous examples and side notes create a comfortable atmosphere for the complex subject of intercultural learning. Dustin’s Video Module is after that, and the student’s get ready to hear a passionate filmmaker teach the very basics of video . . . a “Shooting Video for Dummies” if you will.

Time for lunch . . . yesssss! All of us jump up eager to leave the sauna that has become our classroom, and rush to ask the professors question about specific project issues. Slowly, everybody separates and some go and work on assignments in the computer lab next door to the classroom, while others wrestle the steep hill in hopes of the final prize: the hostel, while still others roam around the surround streets looking for something to eat. After lunch, we find ourselves sitting in the same, somewhat aired out classroom from the morning.

George Miller saunters in, his perfectly manicured mane holds shape even with the bounce in his step, and sets up his slide show. Amidst broken record repetitions of “Strap it” and “When is your scavenger project due?” “Lines, Patterns, and Textures” and “No flash,” the students learn to experimental with creative angles and lighting to produce the most unique pictures possible. Finally, the last class of the day. Professors Emmett and Petner quiet the class down, and we practice creative writing and interviewing techniques. There tag team teaching style incorporates both broadcast journalism and creative writing experience to give a well-rounded view of the Armagh Project story assignment.

And we’re freed . . . but the day is not done, oh no. We now have the rest of the evening to search out contacts for our stories, chat in the hostel common rooms, watch Gaelic football, check out Dustin’s documentary “Matchmaker”, write our stories, complain, bite our nails, practice operating a video camera, watch 24, cook some food in the hostel kitchen, go out to the local pubs, climb a couple hills, sit and stare, panic, relax, panic again . . .

Finally, sleep.