Phases

by Lauren Hicks (Gonzaga University)
PHASE FOUR-- I have finally reached phase four. The honeymoon (phase one) came quickly and filled me with such extreme amounts of happiness and ecstasy that I was never able to wipe the silly grin off of my face. Crisis (phase two) hit gradually and over silly, minute details, such as feeling disconnected from home and the comfortable luxuries I was accustomed to. Who really feels distraught over accessible laundry and a bathroom faucet that stays on for over 15 seconds? Turns out I am that person.

It's not the family or greasy take-out food that makes me miss home, it's the things that make my life routine. The friendliness of my morning coffee stop, especially the hearty laugh of Natasha, has definitely taken the edge off of this feeling!

Phase three, or recovery, passed over me like a black cloud. I had gotten used to my small pet-peevish annoyances, but now I was seeing that life was continuing as usual. People still argue over stupid things, have mini panic-inducing problems, don't feel like getting out of bed, run out of money, etc. This is not a five-star hotel / resort where every person is looking to please my every whim. This is Armagh, a place where life is slow-paced, the shopkeeper knows your name, a favor is as readily granted as received, and strangers are welcome.

Enter phase four, my adjustment. I no longer miss my vehicle, my cell phone or large shower. Instead, I have taken that moment to stop-- stop and feel the rain on my skin, hear the church bells, make eye contact with a stranger and smile, but most of all to feel the impact that Armagh has had on me. Laughter is genuine, hellos are welcoming and the promise of a 'see you later' ignites the possibility of a familiar face.