A Taste of Home

by Felicia Chapman (Gonzaga University)
MISSING THE COMFORTS OF HOME, I was excited to spend the day shopping at a mall (a large structure filled with stores, rather than a large patch of grass in the centre of Armagh) and going to a movie. I boarded a Greyhound-esqe bus to Newry, and driving past sheep and horses, I notice the large, solitary trees, heavy with leaves and branches, standing alone in green farmers’ fields. They seem out of place, yet remain untouched. The deep Irish connection to the lands extends to the trees growing in the middle of crop fields.

Arriving in Newry, I arrived in a juxtaposed town, separated by a river. The older town is filled with traditional brick warehouses, cobblestones and political sayings painted on the walls of businesses. The modern town is across a stone bridge covered narrow black body of water, filled with rapids and shopping carts. Only in Ireland have I seen shopping carts in the water… lying on their sides, rusting, they are such a strange and distracting site.

Across the river, I am beckoned by the Subway, the first of two malls, and the promise of a Marks and Spencer. Walking through the mall doors, I am greeted by vending machines, sale signs and beckoning kiosks. It was very much like home.

Shopping without regard to the currency exchange, I begin to wonder how much money I have spent as my arms grow heavy with bags and souvenirs. Did I buy something in every shop? It is easy to become unaware of the flowing money, when the ATM machines spit out so little. A 100£ is a small amount of bills, weightless yet necessary, whereas the equivalent $200.00 makes my pocket heavy with guilt and responsibility.

The movie theatres, the goal of my trip, beckon with posters and a neon board announcing show times. It is hard to believe that I am not in Canada. Boarding the escalator I get increasing anxious, readying for inflated ticket prices, sticky floors and hot buttered popcorn. I found none of that. After purchasing tickets to Hairspray, I notice the quaint store fronts adjacent to the theatres. Painted blue and white, with detailed roof peaks, they remind me of a European town of the past, as they offer moviegoers speciality ice cream and coffees.

At the popcorn stand, I realize that the popcorn is not hot, fresh or buttered. There is salty and there is sweet. I am encouraged to try each one. Choosing “sweet”, I head to the movie, and stepping through the doors into a traditional and well maintained theatre with plush, high backed chairs. Had the movie theatres once been a spot to see the drama and artistry that Ireland is famous for?

The movie was over much quicker than I had hoped, and as expected, it was a much needed reminder of home. Revelling in the experience more than the film, I head to Burger King for a meal that fits my budget. I realize that I needed only this one day to remind me of home, and the few days I have remaining here in Armagh. Has the time really passed so quickly? Did I get the most out of every moment? I hope I have, yet I cannot tell from the blur that is my memory, perhaps I will only know when I have returned home…