Change

by Kyle Saadeh (Roger Williams)
IT'S FUNNY how quickly living away from home will change a person. It starts out as little things, tiny little aspects of your character that only you would notice. For example: in Ireland I have found that I do not mind getting up early. I did not say that I enjoy waking up early; I said that I did not mind it. If you knew me, you would know how prolific a step this is for me. To say I don’t like waking up early is like saying cancer is just a minor inconvenience. Okay, so it might seem like a major change, but if my college roommates were to see me jump out of bed in the morning back when I was a sophomore in college, like I do here at 8:30…ish, they would probably be very concerned and force me to visit the nearest mental heath facility.

Change is good. It helps you remember just how elastic we can be. It brings us back to childhood, where everyday was a new adventure that required a different adaptation from the day before. Think about it; really think about it, the situations we faced as children were the best times of our lives – and the most trying. Okay, so I might only be twenty-two and I might not know much; but I do know this, I live for the moments that make me feel like a kid again. Remember your first kiss? Remember how nervous and unsure you were, and how insignificant it seems to you now. There was a magical thing about really wanting to do something that you were petrified to do – and then actually doing it, and I know I would do anything to get that feeling back. Somewhere along the line we forgot about this. Between classes, work, dating, deadlines, traffic, and parking tickets – somewhere along the line we tightened up and lost our flexibility – and with it, we lost our perspective on the true pleasures in life. Can you remember the year you started to actually sleep in on Christmas morning? Or when walking barefoot in warm mud became gross and dirty? When a baseball card’s value became solely monetary? And when did the mornings become so painful.

I guess that is the reason I love Ireland so much, because it brings the kid out of me.