Jumping Rope

by Brigid Carey (Gonzaga University)
I haven't jumped rope since eighth grade. Trapped in a stuffy gym with carpeted floors (whoever thought that was a good idea was on acid), I was forced to jump rope for a few minutes in double layered gym getups. Not a fond memory.

Last Saturday, when the Armagh Project journeyed to the Fleadh Festival in Coalisland, some of my classmates and I stumbled across three girls and a boy jumping rope in an alleyway. Scheming purely for our photo class, we slowly moved in on our unsuspecting prey, snapping
photos, looking for "lines, shapes, patterns, and texture," and fiddling with shutter speed. Finally, I admitted defeat and forfeited in the battle with my camera. I asked the young girls (Megan, Chloe, and Aine) if I could jump rope with them and although we were strangers, they welcomed us with open spirits and an open rope. The first few tries were full of awkward postures and hair flying as we deduced the rope was definitely not tall enough for me. But as the hour quickly crept away, I learned how to jump rope successfully with the help of these lively, curious little girls and their brother, Padraig. Nora, Charlotte and I all played with them; playing children's hand games, learning how to run into the rope and spin mid-jump.

After all the sweat was dropped, feet were tripped, and our hips were hugged, we bid adieu. Hours later, our smiles still new and our hearts still tapping to a refreshed tune, I remembered that all of this could not have happened without the act of simply forgetting oneself. As students, we are brought to Armagh to capture everything we can about the city. We are constantly reminded that this may be our only chance to come and experience Ireland, so "make the most of it." Thus we diligently photograph every breath and ray of sun in hopes of
finding that perfect moment. But sometimes you have to look through your eyes instead of your lens and experience the moment with your pure attention. Maybe you wont have a copy of this moment to show your friends, maybe you will (my sister just so happened to be photographing the "jump rope experience" ... phew!), or maybe you don't need to show anyone anything. You can just revel in the memory you created, reminding yourself why the smallest things are worth keeping.