A Political Debate

by Felicia Chapman (Gonzaga University)
ENJOYING THE DARK GREY, CLOUDLESS SKY and chilly air, I dreaded walking to the Marketplace Theatre. Going to a political debate was not my idea of a good time, but I looked forward to the opportunity to observe the Northern Ireland culture.

Entering through the automatic opening glass doors, I was ushered into a cosmopolitan world of high ceilings, leather furniture and a long, open bar; I expected this in Dublin and Belfast, not in the centre of Armagh.

The political debate was more like polite conversation than a heated debate, and it was more interesting than I had expected. Honestly, I preferred the after party, a showcase of the culture. Standing with a glass in hand, I met some of the political leaders, members of the community, and the Mayor, a short, older man adorned in a large, gold necklace; a symbol of his important role in the community? I could never get that close and personal to the political and municipal leaders in Calgary.

As the party dispersed, I followed the sounds of conversation and laughter to an expansive, yet hidden downstairs restaurant/bar. I find the size of this theatre building to be deceptive; like the people of Northern Ireland, they are more than the Guinness commercial stereotype.
Warmly welcomed by two Armagh women with smiles, laughter and difficult to understand, gentle, dancing accents, I find myself enveloped by the inviting and unforgettable sounds of Ireland. As the seats at the table filled, the animated conversation quickly turned to stories, favorite recollections and song. Sporadic and somewhat familiar Irish tunes were belted out by the only male sitting at the table for the benefit of our small group, while the conversation in the room continued. I wonder, can you just break out into song in Armagh without drawing attention? Would a Karaoke bar be popular with the local residents of Armagh?

As the other guests in the room left for the evening, our table continued to be filled with lively and enthralling conversation. The laughter, drama and song ended all too quickly and I soon parted ways with my new Armagh friends and their promises of home cooked traditional Irish meals, hallelujah to the ears of a starving student.